Monday, February 12, 2007

We are the Losers!


Well you can't be a champion all the time, and we certainly weren't on Sunday's Tri-Sport Tourney! ESN organized a fun sports tournament where us exchange students were divided into six teams to compete in games of volleyball, basketball and play out the finals in 'football' matches. I was on a team with my buds Annalise (Australia), Giovani (Italy), Roberto (Brazil) his other Brazilian friend whose name I cannot begin to pronounce, and two other Dutch mentors.

It was clear from the beginning that our team lacked a certain coordination and skill. But where we lacked in skill... we made up for in spirit. Annalise and I even pulled out the ol' Holland shorts to show our team spirit. We lost our two volleyball matches but one match was only one point away. In basketball, a lot of pressure built up on me because word has kind of gotten around that I am supposed to be some sort of star basketball player (I wonder where that rumor started from??) So anyway I had to perform well if my skills were going to match my big mouth.

Unfortunately, the two Dutch mentors had CLEARLY never thrown a basketball in their lives, the Brazilians were in the same boat, our Italian guy was playing with an injury and ball hog mentality so me and Annalise were working double time. Although we lost the first game... I managed to score all but one of our baskets (good work Annalise!) My reputation was not completely damaged. However, in our next game against the board members of ESN (Erasmus Student Network) they put their tallest player against me. And when I say tall, I mean DUTCH tall.... he was 6'9"!! So every single one of my shots was soundly rejected with an overwhelming smackdown.

Nonetheless, we were to play for the ultimate loser position in the final soccer matches. Now the Brazilians and Italian would come in handy. Unfortunately, my skills in soccer are similar to a giraffe trying to do ballet... completely awkward. Instead of trying to play well I decided to get into the motivating dance music playing in the background... it was midway through my amazing still-man-running move that Roberto decided to pass me the ball to my complete obviation. At least I was able to give the crowd a good laugh.

So we ended up being sixth out of six overall... but number one in their hearts!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the mental image of you doing the running-man on a soccer field paired with your girafee like talents!!

Can't wait to see you again girl!! Wehooo - this weekend is going to be a blast!

howie said...

hey babe
your looking pretty good in those pictures
love you
howie

Canoeman said...

Well, you win some and you loose some :-( But what really matters is having fun while doing it. It sure looks like you're having a lot of fun. Good for you Cheryl. Make the most of this excellent opportunity of sampling a "strange" country and its delightful customs. Stay healthy and continue the fun journey you're on. I'll keep checking from tome to time on your blog site.

Best wishes from Harry & Annie Kerkhof

Mom said...

Hi Cheryl it's your Dad. The blog won't let me set up an account because your Mom has the same email address. I'm of course back from Peru and I know you have tried to phone me. While in Peru I was able to keep up with your blogs because Mary the missionary had the internet. They make you seem not so far away. I show off your blogs to whoever I can. Proud of you although a little disappointed with 6th place. (Only kidding of course) Miss you. Dad