Tuesday, March 27, 2007

An extra day in Spain

This is just a quick email to update friends and family who may have had reason for concern. As some of you may have thought, I should be back in Tilburg today but instead, life threw me a curveball. I realized my passport was missing yesterday about an hour after the Canadian embassy closed and six hours before my flight back to Tilburg. Fearing it might be stolen, I called the helpline in Ottawa to void my passport. After many hours at the Canadian embassy today, I have been issued an emergency passport to get me back to Holland where I then have to apply for a new passport at the embassy in de Hague.

I just want to assure everyone that I am perfectly safe and calm. Obviously I was not able to fly back to Holland without a passport so I had to miss my flight and book a new one for 6:40am this Wednesday morning (about 9 hours from right now) Luckily, I am able to stay with my friend Cheryl's friends (Canadian co-op students from Waterloo) until this mess clears up.

Despite this situation, my time in Spain was absolutely amazing and I can't wait to post a new blog and pictures tomorrow night....

1 comment:

Mom said...

Hi Cheryl: I'm glad you called this morning. It was good to talk to you. You have the spirit of a true journalist with your blog - nothing will stop you from telling your story! You have shown you are very capable of looking after yourself by solving the passport problem. I can't wait to hear about the rest of the (Spanish) story! Love always from your Mother xoxoxo